Architecture & Art
of St. Leo Church
The cornerstone for the current St. Leo's Church was laid on August 1, 1915 and the church was
dedicated in 1917. The church is of Romanesque style architecture, 136 feet in length by 70 feet in the transept
and 60 feet in the body. It has a seating capacity of over 800.
The exterior is of buff vitrified brick with stone trimming to blend with the other parish buildings
(built between 1904 and 1906).
The interior of the Church is beautifully decorated, with the Stations
of the Cross in Renaissance style. The altar, which is now the Altar of Reposition (with an angel at either
side -- gifts of the original pastor, Father Kessler) and the communion railing of white marble. Three bells grace
the bell tower. All the windows are of stained glass windows. The
windows and all things inside the church were donated by various members of the congregation and their friends.
The parish's ethnic German heritage is evidenced by its magnificent interior, including a wonderful
"German Romantic" pipe organ.
Other interior treasures included hand carved statues, marble floors, and a beautiful high altar
with Italian marble baldachin.